Keep Canada Diverse and Free



"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."
John Diefenbaker - July 1, 1960. From the Canadian Bill of Rights.

Canada is a country that has risen and fallen on the strength of a diverse collection of individuals, uniting for the common goal of freedom, equality, and peace for all. Over the generations, Canadians have welcomed and integrated marginalized people into our country:
     - United Empire Loyalists chased out of America formed the foundations of the country.
     - Black slaves using the Underground Railroad for freedom came and fought to protect Canada in the war of 1812.
     - LGBTQ Communities looking for rights and acceptance found them more quickly in Canada.
     - Syrian refugees fleeing a war torn homeland have been welcomed by the thousands and given homes, shelter, education and job training.

We have thrived based on our ability to open our arms to a people group, and gain strength through diversity. Recently, certain attitudes have raised a flag for me, making me nervous that the values that have made us strong, are being traded for something that makes us weaker.

We have opened our doors to people groups, who for years have treated women as less, restricting their freedoms, and at times, are even been abusive. Canada is not a place where that can be tolerated. 
We will never be strengthened by treating some as “more equal” than others.
There are faith groups of people that, at their heart, are extremist and violent. As a Christian I am confident in what I believe to be truth, but would never expect or demand that another free human being be required to believe and behave as I do. Hate has no place in our country. Love and respect is what characterizes Canada. 

Canada was a world leader in rights and acceptance for those of different orientations. The STRENGTH of our country has been to allow all Canadians to be who they are, as long as that lives in harmony with those around them. As a Christian, if I act with love and grace towards everyone, I am free to disagree with others on certain issues without having my rights restricted. Bill 89 may restrict my ability to raise my daughter by Christian values, because I I will teach her about what the Bible says about sexuality. Mr. Diefenbaker fought to allow for me to discover and live by the truth I believe in, so long that it does not infringe on another's right to do so.

The moment a thought comes to mind that another human being is inherently wrong, and that we should do something to restrict or change that person, we should tread carefully. 

I can believe differently than you, and not require that you change anything about yourself, so we can continue to co-exist as brothers and sisters, building a strong diverse country. If I believe differently than you do, and require that you change, I am no longer representing Canada as it has be formed.

Let's fight for a strong diverse Canada. Let's protect these values so that generations to come will experience the same Canada I have known for 40 yrs.

Love wins. Respect wins

And then Canada wins.

Comments