Fighting the Wrong Battle



As a Christian, what makes you more upset?
1) The idea that two people of the same sex who love each other will get married.
or 
2) Two people of opposite sex who committed their lives to each other can’t find it in their hearts to forgive one another so they get divorced.

Many Christians stress about how gay marriage is potential threat to the Biblical depiction of marriage between a man and woman. Yet unforgiveness and divorce pose the real threat to our marriages, and find victims everyday. I’ve yet to hear a Christian couple on the verge of divorce state that their marriage failed because two gay people (who openly claim to not believe in the Bible as truth) got married. I find it troubling that so many Christians are upset at people who don’t believe in God want to exercise their rights as human beings, even though it infringes upon our beliefs as Christians.

The Bible makes some very clear statements about marriage and homosexuality.
Levitucs 18:22 “Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin.”
Gen 2: 24 “…a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.”

I choose to live my life on the principles outlined in the Bible. So do 2.2 Billion people around the world. That’s roughly 32 percent of the world's population. It doesn’t mean I hate gay people. I’m friends with gay people and believe that we all worthy of love and equal rights.  It does mean that I choose not to participate in gay marriage, nor do I advocate for same sex marriage in our faith.  

Yet at the same time, I recognize that 68 percent of the world does not have reason to live their lives by Biblical measurements. So I shouldn’t be shocked that people who don’t follow God, don’t obey God.

Gay marriage poses absolutely no threat to my faith or to my marriage. It’s not something I want to fight and rally against.  But fighting to make sure my marriage is Christ-centered and long lasting is something I’m extremely passionate about. I married Amanda when I was young. We were both virgins and too young to know what the world would eventually throw our way. We have changed drastically over our 12 years of marriage,, and while we may look similar in appearance, the people we are bear very little resemblance to who we were when we committed our lives to one another. We’ve experienced amazing high’s, but have also gone through some lows. Our marriage is marked by friendship and love…. as well as forgiveness.
Forgiveness for the times we let each other down.
Forgiveness for times we broke promises.
Acceptance of how neither of us is perfect, and as hard as we try, we will fail again.
It’s in the work of forgiveness that we experience the feeling of true everlasting love.


If Christians were as passionate about protecting ourselves against divorce as we were about fighting same sex relationships our marriages would be much healthier.

Comments