You Know What. It's Both a Shutout AND a Clean Sheet

I grew up playing hockey and baseball. When the score ended up anything to nothing, it was a shutout. Pitchers pitched shutouts. Goalies earned shutouts. That's what they were called.
Weird thing happened  to me though when I watched Graham Legget and Soccer Saturday on TSN
When then goalie got a shut out, he didn't get a shutout. He got a clean sheet.
Seemed dumb to me, why would you a call a shutout anything other than what it was.
Soccer was weird and different. In fact they didn't even call it soccer. They called it football... which was a totally different sport altogether.
Craziness
If this soccer-football was going to invade my Canadian TV than they needed to figure out that 0 goals against = a shutout.

How un-Canadian my feelings of judgment were

As Canadians we seem to go out of our way to inconvenience ourselves to nearly any extent to make others feel comfortable. Honestly I like how accommodating we are. Our nation is characterized as a beautiful mosaic of race, faith, language and culture. None has the right to make another feel inferior. Each is due respect and rights.  Personally i believe each person deserves to be loved and honoured as well.

Just because I choose to love and respect, doesn't mean I'm going to agree with you. Much less am I going to change or compromise on what I believe in just because I want you to feel accepted.

I love that my country doesn't discriminate against opening our nation to anyone of any faith or ethnicity. However as a native Canadian and Christian please don't expect that I'm going to compromise on my beliefs just because we share this country. I don't hate you and the bible is not hate literature, but i feel that sometimes we "Canadian" things a little too much.

Can we really expect schools, gyms and other community organizations to change the way they do business in order to accommodate the beliefs of one group?

http://read.thestar.com/?origref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.ca%2F#!/article/52ce2814ec0691e2eb00020c-york-u-student-s-refusal-to-work-with-women-sparks-rights-debate

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/01/14/teen-felt-degraded-after-teacher-divided-aikido-classes-by-gender-following-male-students-religious-request/

It seems backwards to me. We all have the right to practice our faith freely in this country. None of us has the right to impose restrictions so it feels more comfortable... more familiar. Maybe even more like the way we once knew it to be.

It's a shutout, but also a clean sheet
Can't two things exist side by side without one hating the other.

To show my cards I do believe that Jesus and Christianity brings true life.  I do indeed believe that it's one message for us all, but I also feel that anyone who may disagree with my faith deserves the right to do so... and they deserve my love and respect.

Feels like the same courtesy isn't always extended back.
Love to hear some feedback.

Comments