Absence


Absence supposively makes the heart grow fonder.

This weekend the girls were going away to a cottage for Grandma’s 60th birthday. I had to work Friday night and Sunday so I was not going to be able to go. It just so happened to coincide with the start of the MLB postseason. There was going to be baseball on TV from 2:00 - 12:00 midnight.

My heart grew very fond of this absence when I first learned of it.

I first needed to set them up.

“No really. You should go. I’ll find something to do. I have a bunch of work I need to catch up on. You shouldn’t miss out on all the fun at the cottage just because of me.”

And then away they went, feeling only a little guilt for leaving poor old dad at home, unbeknownst of the long day of couch potato-ing I had planned.

Saturday morning I woke up and did not have to cook animal shaped pancakes, play in the Barbie tent or clean up a kitchen full of dishes.

The absence thing really works for me. They should go away more often and then I would REALLY love them.

All I needed to do was get a few groceries for the day (and maybe so we could eat this week as well) and then I was headed back to my couch.

A funny thing happened at the store though. It was no longer their not being present that made my heart so happy, it was their absence that made me miss them.

I started to see things on the shelves that drew my attention to what they would say about them.

“But Daddy I really need a Zhu Zhu pet.”

“It the big paper towels are on sale we’d better by 15 of them to stock up.”

I started to get a little lonely.

I started to buy things not on the list; instead I was creating a surprise for the girls when they walk in the door tomorrow.

I was in such a rush to get home and work on their gifts that I locked my keys in the car. (Luckily a neighbour was out shopping as well and had the grace to drive me home for my spare key).

So with baseball on in background I worked on a special surprise for when my family comes home tomorrow. Little reminders of why I love them and why I need them in my life.

I can’t wait to watch their reactions as they open the small gifts tomorrow, but more importantly when they read the words about why they make my life so complete.

Don’t get me wrong. I still watch more than 10 hrs of baseball and have loved having a clean quiet house all day. I’m not crazy… I made the most of this opportunity.

But it’s true. When the people you love most go away, it’s a great chance to remind yourself of how lucky you are.

So please don’t go away without me for a while again, ladies.

Not for like 4 months.

Actually January sounds good - NFL wildcard weekend will be on

:)

Comments