A Christian Perspective on Ontario's New Sex-Ed Curriculum



To start - I am not in favour of my 9 year old being forced to consider issues of sexuality, self-pleasure and sexting in the grade 4. I’m very much not in support of having a teacher (who is somewhat arbitrarily assigned to teach her) be responsible for the nature in which this material is taught.

At the same time, she has friends with gay parents and is exposed to media that frequently discusses sexuality. Un-informed kids talk all kinds of crazy nonsense about what “sex” is as has always been the case, and those schoolyard rumours start to shape our kids understanding of their sexuality. While she currently has highly supervised access to email and texts, not all her friends will have the same level of supervision and I’m well prepared for her to be exposed to ideas/images and stuff while she is too young. Actually I wish she would never have to be exposed to sexually inappropriate images, music, movies etc. Those kinds of things mess us all up regardless of what age we are.

Canada is a highly “liberal” (pun intended) nation and I don’t agree with all of our prevailing ethics. The prevalence of the attitude of tolerance in our modern world means that each person’s individual views are free to be expressed. As a Christian, these are tricky waters to navigate. I believe that there are very specific guidelines of the kind of sexuality that honours God (sex between one man and one woman who are partners for life, all within a marriage relationship).  I’m glad I am free to believe and practice this openly here in Canada. But my faith puts me in the minority. What’s more, my faith is modelled after the life of Jesus, who came so that anyone and everyone would know that God loves them, and thinks they are important. Sexuality has no bearing on whether or not God loves a person, or whether you are important to Him… or to me. That’s hard enough for us as adults to get right, let alone for my 9 year old.

So what do I do as a parent?
Some parents choose private school where these sexual habits that are outside of Christian values aren’t taught as viable life choices. I have many close friends that are involved in leading private schools which I would recommend wholeheartedly. I fully understand why their enrolment numbers are steadily increasing.

At the same time, we all know that Canada is not a Christian community, and all of our kids will eventually enter into a world where they will be trying to live to a standard not supported by their peers. Their challenge will be to embody love for everyone and function in a society that has a very oppositional mindset to that of their own.

I guess I feel that it’s not the schools job to teach my kid morals. That’s my job.
My place is to build a faith foundation deep enough that she understands that not everything she hears at school or on TV will affirm her faith. And that’s OK. It doesn’t make them right or something she needs to accept.
It’s my role to model how to live a life based on Christian morals, in harmony with a world that lives differently. She needs to hear me talking about how we have family and friends that have sexual habits that don’t honour God. We love them... and at the same time… we disagree that God is “OK” with how they live.

It’s a challenge to the current idea of tolerance. I can still accept and love people, without having to say their lifestyle honours God.
I don’t agree with what you believe… and… we can still be friends.
I feel that you’re wrong that sexual freedom is good and right… and… we’re still OK to share schools, communities and life together.

This isn’t a conversation that just starts at a certain age. It’s a lifestyle and attitude that needs to be perpetually lived out and modelled.
So no - I am not happy that the sex-ed curriculum is changing.
But in the end, my job as a parent is the same. Model God honouring morality that exists in harmony with love for people who believe differently.

Parenting is super tough.

Comments