Somedays I Wish I Was James Earl Jones

-->
James Earl Jones is one of my heroes
Field of Dreams was pretty sweet. But the “This is CNN” voice over is just unreal.
How does he make his voice do that?
HE doesn’t. (of course) GOD did.


One of my biggest struggle growing up was with my voice. I had to go to speech therapy for stuttering.
Also I was one of those kids who voice decided to go high in puberty, crack a lot, and then just never come down. Being a male teenager with a high voice can make for all sorts of wonderful mockery. If you ever feel the need to make fun of someone with a high voice I can give you a bunch of snappy one liners that were imprinted onto my still developing mind in the late 90’s.

There were nights I would be so upset, just wondering what I did to deserve this “terrible” voice. If only I were that middle aged black man making movies and doing voice overs for national news networks. Then life would be in the sweet spot.

I read this verse in Isaiah yesterday.
How foolish can you be? He is the Potter, and he is certainly greater than you, the clay! Does a jar ever say, “The potter who made me is stupid”?

Great reminder really. We can spend so much effort worrying about what we look like, sound like… what we can’t do and what we wish we could be, that we forget that we were created with purpose and reason. God’s a potter, making unique jars of clay. Ours is not to question. Our role is to be the pot that we were fashioned as.

So I guess you’ll never hear my voice on national TV.
And that’s OK.
I’ll use my voice for what God intended… and just be OK with that.

Comments