Ya I Know But...

Ya I know but...

These words send chills down the spine of almost every parent I know.

“I thought I asked you to clean up your room?”

“Ya I know, but I just needed to finish this level first.”

Or sometimes they even try to make it seem logical
“Ya I know but I was working on homework and I figured that was more important. I have a test tomorrow you know.”

This morning’s reading from the Life Journal (http://www.lifejournal.cc/bible) was in 1 Sam 15, where Samuel details for Saul that God would rather have us be obedient, than to make a sacrifice that we feel is more appropriate. (1 Sam 15:22).

Something in human nature makes us assume that we know better. We feel that our way or our perspective is more valuable than those of others around us. Kids try to give their parents reasons why they didn’t need to do the thing that they are being asked. We explain to our bosses why we spent time working on a project that they didn’t want us working on. In this reading this morning, Saul even told God why what he did was better than the way God was expecting it to be done.

”Don’t worry God – it’s cool. I figured you’d rather have it this way”.

A few good thoughts for me this morning.
1) Don’t be so shocked when our kids react this way, because it’s not just kids who do it.
2) Are there areas in my life where I am making excuses for doing things my way rather than doing it the way I was instructed to.



Whether it comes to my faith, my work, or my family, it just seems that to obey is difficult.
Obedience is better.

Rick

Comments