Invest a Little Love

Families are fun aren’t they?
When a large group of people are bound together and forced into loving relationships, the results are completely unpredictable. I’m sure each of us could fill hours upon hours with hilarious stories about the crazy things that happened during this past Christmas season at your family Christmas.

Crazy uncle Eddie had too much punch and went off at dinner about how the government has spies at Walmart
Or…
Grandma chose Christmas morning to remind everyone of why today’s generation is dumb (with their pants on the ground) and why life in the 50’s was so much better.

The tough thing is when one of these people does something that actually deeply hurts you. This is a person who is supposed to love you, knows so much about you, yet they do something that makes you feel so crappy. When a family member offends you, don’t you find that it’s so much easier to respond in hurt rather than with love? I know I do.

I think that maybe it’s because our concept of love is messed up. We like to think about love as a feeling, when it’s better viewed as an action. We don’t choose our families and yet we love them. So where do we get off thinking that love is rooted in feelings. Love is something we do and give to people, it’s not a warm fuzzy. Funny thing is, the more we choose to love, the more we feel love.

Last night after work I got into my car, fought traffic for an hr and a half so I could take my nephew out for dinner. He’s chillin at my place next weekend, so we talked about how we’re going to play guitar together, and how we’re going to box and maybe even go skating. We shared what a mere half an hr of time together at Wendy’s which is insignificant, but the choice to show and invest love is immeasurable. After that my dad and I Skyped with my mom who is in the Barbados on missions and then watched the hockey game. (The freakin Leafs actually won)

Driving home it just really struck me that the more we choose to show love, the more love we feel. I think I have a pretty crazy family… but I really do love them.

Just my little encouragement to world - invest a little love in someone today.

Comments