Leading From Shotgun. The Call To Be #2

If I were a condiment, I'd be relish.
As a super hero I wear the green mask. Not the Bat.
I'm riding shotgun.
Leading from the 2nd position is my sweet spot.

Some of the greatest things I will ever accomplish as a leader will be in direct service to my leader. It is a misinformed opinion that to lead means you need have created the vision.  My greatest satisfaction as a leader right now is to support the vision of another.

Willow Creek's Global Leadership Summit is an annual highlight for me. 40 000 leaders gather worldwide for two days each summer to discuss leadership in churches, business and politics. Top speakers from every arena inspire and challenge us to grow and change. Many leaders in attendance develop or refine passion for their life's work over these days. It solidifies within them the idea that they are called to a mission or purpose of which nothing can stop them from achieving. Every year I attend, I am more convinced that I am never happier or more fulfilled than when what I lead out is in direct service to the vision of my leader.

At 36 years old, I've spent one-third of my entire life working for one leader. A leader who has challenged me personally and professionally. A leader who has recognized weakness and errors, but been gentle enough to inspire me to make a correction and persevere rather than heap on shame or feelings of inadequacy. I've felt the freedom to grow and create and felt a part of everything we accomplish together as a team and as a church. His door, and more importantly his mind, is open to my questions. I feel cared for but not coddled. There is never a day I have woken up questioning whether or not I can serve his vision. My missions is to serve his. Why would I question such a great opportunity to serve and lead at the same time?

Granted I am not a "Type-A" personality, I wonder if more leaders would find success in serving the mission of others rather than needing to create something on their own. Their are very few great organizations or accomplishments that were built on one person's shoulders. Great accomplishments take great teams. Great teams need great players... at every position. Tom Brady never gets off aTD pass unless his offensive line can give him time to throw. A pitcher can't strike out a batter unless the catcher can receive and hold onto the ball. For every leader with a vision, there needs to be multiple people there to support and carry of the dream.

1 Kings 19: 19-21 is one of my leadership life passages. Elisha left everything, just follow around Elijah. His purpose, was support. If you ask me what I was created to do with this phase of my life, it's to serve into whatever my leader decides is best. I had a discussion with a friend the other day about what would make a great campus pastor. I told him to find someone who would serve him unconditionally. He agreed that any campus church leader needs to serve into the church mission. I re-clarified my stance. Serving the Church's mission and serving the leader are two different issues. I can serve the mission of the church in many places in many ways. We are all called to preach Truth and make disciples and there are infinite ways and opportunities for me to do this.

But there was only one Elijah.
I only have one lead Pastor and I count it a high calling to serve Him.  I follow him as He follows Christ. (1 Cor 11:1)


Comments