Y I MSG

Texting - because so many people were frustrated with the convenience of using their voices to talk that we invented a much more laborious method of communication.

There is almost nothing that makes texting a better way to have a conversation with another person when compared to talking.
            - You have no tone or expression in your voice to help clarify emotion or intent.
            - You have to focus down at a tiny screen instead of being able to look around freely.
            - Typing messages back and forth takes 2-3 times longer than speaking to each other.

There really is nothing that makes text a superior form of communication to talk.
So why is it then, that when you or I need to have a quick chat with someone, we regularly default to text?
Good question.
Many of my reasons (and I will assume some of your reasons as well) are not actually all that good. It's like popping in an 8-track and driving over to Blockbuster to grab a video. The text craze is not about efficiency. It’s about control.

1) Texting Prevents Me From Losing Control
When I send or receive a text I can choose to control when I want to read it and when I want to respond. If I don’t like the message, or at times, if I don’t like the person who sent the message, I can pretend that I haven’t yet received the text (Don’t forget to turn off those messages received notifications!) No one is actually too busy to find the fifteen seconds it takes to read/respond to a text. It’s not that we don’t have time, it’s that we want to choose when we are going to invest that time. If you were to call me, you get to dictate time and pace of a conversation. Texting allows me to retain control over our communication, and it’s just another way I can individualize my world.

2) Texting Allows Me To Remain Unfocused
I’m writing this as I watch a game on TV and chat away with my wife in between typing sentences. We’ve trained our brains to feel normal and comfortable while focusing on multiple things at the same. While multi-tasking can be beneficial for us during an especially busy time at work, it’s become a detractor for us in relationships and communication. Instead of investing a few focused minutes into a conversation with a person that I care about, I take fifteen seconds breaks from the multiple other things I am doing to let you know I care… just not enough to stop everything else and focus solely on you.

3) Texting Gives Me A Way To Avoid Difficult Conversations
There are some conversations that I’m nervous to have; some that I’m possibly avoiding having altogether. However when I consider that I could just send a text and avoid all the awkwardness or nervousness that would be associated with a face to face over a difficult conversation, I default to text. It’s sad that I would choose an inferior form of communication for some of the more sensitive conversations that I need to have. Texting has given me a way out, but it’s one that I really shouldn’t be taking.

Many of us send hundreds or even thousands of texts a day. We share pictures and experiences with friends who can’t be with us. I’m able to leave a message waiting for a person to call me if I know I can’t get in touch with them at the moment. It was designed for fun, convenience and social uses. It’s also become a bad habit we’ve gotten used to. Many of us need to touch the little phone icon rather than the message bubble icon and invite friend out to coffee to share a story, laugh a little and enjoy a good old fashioned conversation.

And when we feel the little vibration in our jean pocket, let’s remember that the person standing right in front of us who has taken the time to be with us, deserves more of our attention than the one who is  far away who has chosen to try to interrupt whatever we are doing with a text.

Challenge yourself this week.
Every text you are about to send - ask yourself why are you texting or emailing rather than calling?
How many times were you avoiding the conversation with the person?


Take the 1-week text challenge with see and step up to be a better form of communication. You and I can listen to iTunes and watch OnDemand while the rest of them text and 8-track it




Comments