My Missing Ice Bucket Video

 
I didn’t donate to ALS this summer.
I never even loaded a video on Facebook.
Last year our family donated over $10 000 to different charities and causes. The individuals that came up with the challenge and posts to social media had a great idea that has raised millions of
dollars for families in need and for research. I even participated in an ice bucket event with our staff.
I just didn’t feel the need to give a $100 because the internet told me to.

I’m not any more mad at Ray Rice today.
I was quite disturbed in February when it first happened. Both he and his fiancée’s admission that there was abuse going on pointed the fact that the man needed time away from media and football.
I didn’t need a graphic video to tell me to get mad.
The 78 NFL Players that have admitted to and been convicted of domestic violence should tell us this is a problem, not elevator video.

We live in a wonderful age where news content is available to us through digital sources constantly. I get football on my phone and do business transactions through texts messages. I hear a chime when an important news item breaks that alerts me to stop what I ‘m doing and check.
It’s pretty amazing.

It’s also pretty scary.

The amount of media coverage something gets has the potential to dictate to me what is and what isn’t important.
What are you passionate about? What’s the thing that you sacrifice for? Time, money and energy.
Is it less important because there is no social media challenge associated with it?

Each of us has unique passions that sit close to our hearts.
Don’t wait for your phone to remind you that it’s important and you need to do something about it.
If domestic violence has affected you, then speak up about it regardless is Ray Rice is punished or not.
If ALS has changed the life of someone you loved than keep posting videos.

If not then speak up, and do something about the things that matter to you.
After all, significance might only be one post upload away
:P


Comments