Irreplaceable You


There are really only a few places in life where each of us really matters... where we really count

This summer I was lying on the couch, fever, chills, but all I could think about was my summer hockey league's play-off game that night. Many players could have just called in sick, but i was the goalie. In the regular season you can rent-a-goalie or phone a friend... but not in the play-offs. It was quite the dilemma. So I did what any good hearted Canadian would do. I popped 4 Tylenol, had 2 double espresso's and went out on the ice (we lost 3-2 but I played well... call it even).

We like to be needed. It feels good to know that we really matter to somebody (or somebodies).

What if in 2013, we resolved to invest our time into the people and places where we really matter? Some people spend 50-60 a week at work, but sadly we could be replaced quite easily. We like to think that the office would not run the same way without us, but if the organization existed before us, it will exist beyond us as well. I felt good that day that the ECHL Roosters  "needed" me in net, but there are probably 50 other goalies around who could take my spot.

In fact one of the few places where the only person who will do is you is in your family. There are no rent-a-dad's to see their kids sing, or substitute husbands for days when we feel sick and want to call someone in to go to the family event. We are completely irreplaceable at home,  but so many times it feels like home is the place that gets our least attention.

I want to make 2013 the year that i remember that one more hour at work may add up to nothing in my total output there,  but that hr invested in watching a soccer game, or a date night, might solidify my relationships with the people closest to me.  When I make decisions about who gets my best and where my extra time goes, I want this to be the year I remember that someone else can fill my shoes in so many other places, but no one else will do for my family.

But in the play-offs, I will be there for my team as well

Comments