The 1-2-3 Parenting Myth


We like things to come in threes don’t we. Michael Jackson and his brothers coined it perfectly with, “A-B-C. It’s easy as 1-2-3. Or simple as Do-Re-Mi” Our memories handle groups of three better. A group of 3 is more aesthetically pleasing than 2 or 4. Even when we punish our kids we like a trio.

1……

2…..

and then they obey.


I was thinking about this (probably more than I should). 1-2-3 has a built-in, inherent opportunity for our kids to disobey, almost enticing them to protest longer. Think about the classic example. You ask a child to stop what he or she is doing. Then you give them to the count of three.

1 - The child does not move and continues to stall.

2 - The child responds and comes back because the world may cease to exist as they know it if their parent ever gets to “3”.


So what’s the point of 1? 1 Is really just allowing kids time to delay before they obey. It’s giving them an opportunity to question whether or not listening to their parents is the right thing to do. I don’t expect that kind of self-efficacy from my 6 year old. I want her to think - Dad said it, so I should do it. We’ll have her entire teenage life for her to question every word that comes from my mouth. At 6 I want 1- obey.

Henceforth the girl gets a 2 count. And so help me if I get to 2. :)

Comments