Stuff I Learned So Far


I’ve been a parent for just about four months now, but I was thrown into the deep end with little warning. Being a dad to a 5-year-old who is going on 16 and never stop moving has changed my life. I lost 10 lbs in the first two weeks, played more Barbies than is reasonable for a 32-year-old man and I am becoming quite the expert braider and clip putter inner.


As I reflected back at the end of my first ever Father’s Day, and question my logic thinking, “what the heck have I just done?” I also started thinking about a few things I have learned so far.


* There is just as much drama in the SK class as there is in any high school. Someone talks smack about someone else outfit and all heck breaks lose almost every day.


* There are some nights when kids just don’t feel like sleeping. They let you know this by coming into your room every half hour with a new problem about having to pee or hearing the wind too loudly or something else. On those nights it’s best just to take up residence with them in their bed instead of walking back and forth every thirty minutes.


* There is a reason for every behaviour (good or bad). As random as her fears or questions may seem at times, there is actually a reason behind it.


* Mounds of Ketchup go well with every meal. Pizza, potatoes, eggs, cheese whiz sandwiches - they are require 100 ml of the red stuff.


* It’s my job to set her up for success. Her job is live it out.


* Sometimes the best thing I can do for her is to make sure that her mom feels loved. The family as a whole does well when the parents stay close.


* Kids have an internal clock that only wakes them up at 6:00 am when they are allowed to sleep in, never on school mornings.


* Trying to rush or pressure is never a good idea. Life is always much easier when you leaver lots of time for everything.


* If I suggest it - it is a bad idea. Manipulation and making them think it is there own idea is much easier.


* Play dates are more for me than they are for her. I get 2-3 hrs where the kids entertain themselves and I just get to clean or sit or read or anything and she thinks I am doing HER a favour.


* Coupons for free kids meals are from the devil. ‘But Daddy, this Mandarin coupon says I can go for free as many times as I want. All you and mommy have to do is buy two adult meals.”


* I am always teaching and she remembers everything. From the way I treat telemarketers to the way I discipline the dog. I am now required to be perfect… or at least every ready to admit my mistakes and ask for forgiveness.


* She can make me laugh, cry, and feel more loved with just a look. Most days that is amazing. When she is a teenager and starts to manipulate me this will suck.


By Father’s Day next year I hope I remember this stuff and figure out a few more things.

Until Then!

Comments