Irreplaceable


I still remember the first few days that I got my HD TV. I think I only left the couch for food or pee because I was so fixated on the giant men playing sports in my basement… but more so how clear everything was. Sometimes I will watch a game in HD between the Pittsburgh Pirates and Milwaukee Brewers over a game with a Toronto team involved just because the HD makes it that much more. HD has changed the way I watch sports. While a TV is definitely replaceable (the idea of 3D sports makes me think that I just may never go to a live game again), there are some things that if I lost I imagine I would never try to replace.
My wife/family.
My closest friends.
Some of the people I work with.

What makes something or someone irreplaceable in your life?
I was in a conference the other day, and the speaker encouraged us to think of the people whom if they sent you an email and let you know that they were leaving, it would make you want to get up out of your seat and vomit.
Now that’s an irreplaceable person.
If Chris Bosh leaves the Raptors, I would be mad but I’d get over it. When Vince said he stopped trying and needed out I think I had a minor breakdown.
A few years ago when a mentor of mine told me he was moving, I half considered becoming a hermit and ceasing all interaction with people.
That kind of irreplaceable.

A better question might be to whom are you irreplaceable?
Who are the people that count on you to such a high degree that the thought of losing you makes them ill?
I can’t say with any degree of certainty that there are many people who I have a relationship with that qualify in this category, nor do I want to be that important to many.
I’d like to think there a few.
Be challenged today to become irreplaceable to the people that matter the most to you.

Comments